We want to provide transparent information on the progress of the Green Transformation in order to secure the trust of our stakeholders. For this purpose, we at Deutsche Bahn also rely on sustainability indicators. Our sustainability work is assessed by impartial rating agencies on a regular basis, and we are compared to other companies using objective criteria in international rankings. We also publish information on the Green Transformation in multiple places, such as our annual Integrated Report, which is certified by an independent audit.
Our climate protection goal is to be completely climate neutral by 2040. And we will have reduced CO2 emissions by over 50% by 2030.
Share of renewable energy in the traction current mix– in %
Specific greenhouse gas emissions in comparison to 2006 – in %
|Regional rail passenger transport (g/pkm)||76,5||72,6||48,9|
|Long-distance rail passenger transport (g/pkm)||1,4||1,5||0,9|
|Bus transport (g/pkm)||100,4||105,6||73,8|
|Rail freight transport (g/tkm)||17,2||17,0||19,2|
Well-to-wheel (WTW); scope 1—3; rail transport companies are included with their own energy mix and/or European country mixes. Rail freight transport up to and including 2020 excluding rail freight transport to/from China by DB Cargo and DB Schenker.
- Since 2018, all passengers on our long-distance electric trains have been traveling on services powered by 100% green energy.
- All trains on the Hamburg S-Bahn network run on renewables. We also converted six regional lines to 100% renewable power in the southern German state of Baden-Württemberg.
- Since 2019, we as Deutsche Bahn have been operating 33 of our stations with 100% green power, including the 15 largest stations – in Berlin, Munich and Cologne, among others.
We want to maintain a healthy ecosystem by actively creating habitats for endangered plants and animals, and by encouraging biodiversity.
|Compensation measures for nature conservation||46.015||38.858||32.189|
|thereof species protection measures||15.777||12.804||10.051|
- In order to make an active contribution to the preservation of the honeybee, we have turned DB land over to private beekeepers free of charge, securing important habitats for over 50 million bees.
- We are one of Germany's largest owners of forests, with total holdings of around 28,000 hectares. One of our woodland sites is near the village of Elm in eastern Hesse. Trees were planted on the embankment flanking the rail line between the towns of Hanau and Fulda a century ago. The area hasn't seen a chainsaw for decades.
- We have cooperated with the Bergwaldprojekt e.V. association, which is dedicated to protecting forests, since 2009. In that time, our employees and trainees have been working together with many volunteers to plant hundreds of thousands of trees to create a resilient mixed forest and a healthier environment.
We also see environmental protection as a call for us to use our resources carefully and strive for a circular economy. Already a reality for us today: a recycling rate of over 95 percent.
Recycling rate at DB Group – in %
|Ballast (thousand metric tons)||3.638||3.186||2.782|
|recycling share (in %)||10,7||16,2||13,3|
|Mechanical ballast processing (million metric t)||1,3||1,5||1,4|
|thereof reused directly||0,7||0,7||0,7|
|Concrete ties (thousand)||2.590||2.400||2.143|
|recycling share (in %)||10,4||10,0||5,7|
October 1 to September 30
- Water consumption in 2021 was down around 14% from the previous year to 7.25 million cubic meters.
- Our ICE trains have a service life of at least 30 years. To ensure that they reach this age, we redesign them after about half their service life, saving up to 80% of the material costs compared to buying new.
- As well as saving time, 3D printing also conserves valuable raw materials. We have already printed over 30,000 parts and replacement parts in more than 500 different applications since 2015.
We know how important noise reduction is when we think about the people who live along the railroad. Because more traffic on the Strong Rail can only succeed if it is accepted by the people who live directly along the rail lines.
|Noise remediation (existing network)|
|Noise barriers completed (km)||44,2||75,1||53,4|
|Homes with passive measures||1.820||1.485||1.628|
|Noise prevention (new construction and expansion lines)|
|Noise barriers completed (km)||41,2||18,4||59,7|
|Homes with passive measures||590||1.173||2.261|
Lines with noise remediation measures – in km
Share of quiet freight cars in the active fleet in Germany – in %
We accept responsibility for our actions in Germany and in every other country where we do business. As Deutsche Bahn, we are clearly committed to our social responsibility and our role in society.
Based on the organizational structure as of December 31, 2021, across all levels
Ratings and rankings
As Deutsche Bahn, we aim to achieve very good positions in key sustainability ratings. Ratings and rankings show us where we stand.
2021 Integrated Report
In the Integrated Report, we provide information on Deutsche Bahn's achievements in 2021. We also show what has been achieved in terms of sustainability and the environment and how we are driving forward the Green Transformation.